Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Book Challenges

(just one of many shelves)


Book Challenges abound  - there is a challenge for every reader, from Mysteries to historical fiction to romance and everything in between.
Last year I committed to a number of challenges and was fairly successful in most. I definitely read more and read a lot of wonderful books ("Wonder" and "The One and Only Ivan" were 2 of my favourites.)

This year I have  decided to commit to less challenges but focus more on attacking my ToBeRead pile  (or piles to be more exact.)
I cannot resist a bookstore, second hand shop or Costgo. I go in saying "no books, no books" - and I am lucky if I come out with only 1. But books overflow in every bookcase I have and I still have books in boxes.

I keep lists of books I want to read and love getting recommendations. I always have several books on the go. 

I have decided that this year I will not buy books, except if I receive a gift card or am taking a course.  I must read what I have first. (The Double Dog Dare will definitely help!)

Check here for a huge number of book challenges.


These are the challenges I am committing to:

1.


Guidlines:

The TBR Dare is back again for a third year; except this time it's much more intense. It's not just a dare, it's a double dog dare. Dakota and I double dog dare you to join in the fun.

But, remember, especailly those of you who do not participate in reading challenges, the TBR Double Dare is not a "reading challenge;" it's a dare.

We dare you, no we double dog dare you to join in the fun.

The rules are extreme, but you can change them to fit your needs. The TBR Double Dog Dare is meant to be fun, so rule number one is--have fun.

The goal of the TBR Double Dog Dare is to reduce the size of your TBR stack, to read those books you've had for years and always meant to get around to reading one day. January 1, 2013 just might be the day.

If you agree to the full Double Dog Dare, then you pledge to read only books in your TBR stack as of January 1, 2013 from the start of the new year until April Fool's Day. Your TBR stack is officially defined as the books you have purchased or have requested from the library as of January 1, 2013. This includes books that have not arrived in the mail or at the store yet. Dakota and I will be making exceptions only for books selelcted by my book club, and possibly not even those depending on what my book club selects. If you're a member of a book club, then you know how that works. You can make whatever exceptions you would like to or need to make.

We understand.

If you don't want to sign up for the full four months, you can sign up for whatever period of time you'd like. We think it's more fun if people spell out the details of their personal Double Dog Dare in a post on their blogs, but you may do as you like.


*You may count any "currently reading" book that you begin prior to January 1--provided that you had 50% or more of the book left to finish in 2013. I will trust you all on that.

*Books may be used to count for other challenges as well.

*Feel free to submit your list in advance (as incentive to really get those books taken care of) or to tally them as you climb.

*A blog and reviews are not necessary to participate..

Feel free to sign up here


2.
.
I am committing to Pike's Peak (12 books), although I hope to read more of my TBR books. I am not listing them yet, as I have too many to choose from and never know what it is I feel like reading after I finish a book. 


Here are the guidlines:
   
Challenge Levels
Pike's Peak: Read 12 books from your TBR pile/s

Mount Blanc: Read 24 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Vancouver: Read 36 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Ararat: Read 48 books from your TBR piles/s
Mt. Kilimanjaro: Read 60 books from your TBR pile/s
El Toro: Read 75 books from your TBR pile/s
Mt. Everest: Read 100 books from your TBR pile/s

Mount Olympus (Mars): Read 150+ books from your TBR pile/s

And the rules:
*Once you choose your challenge level, you are locked in for at least that many books. If you find that you're on a mountain-climbing roll and want to tackle a taller mountain, then you are certainly welcome to upgrade.

*Challenge runs from January 1 to December 31, 2013.

*You may sign up anytime from now until November 30th, 2013.

*Books must be owned by you prior to January 1, 2013. No ARCs (none), no library books. No rereads. [To clarify--based on a question raised last year--the intention is to reduce the stack of books that you have bought for yourself or received as presents {birthday, Christmas, "just because," etc.}. Audiobooks and E-books may count if they are yours and they are one of your primary sources of backlogged books.]

Check it out here.



3.

 My goal is Dweeb level - 12 books, 6 different categores. I like the idea of reading 1 adult and one children's/young adult books for each level.


GUIDELINES
Levels:
Geek: 4-6 books in at least 2-3 different categories
Dork: 7-10 books in at least 4-5 different categories
Dweeb: 11- 14 books in at least 6-7 different categories
Nerd: 15+ books in at least 8+ different categories

Categories:
* Health, Medicine, Fitness, Wellness
* History- US, World, European, etc.
* Religion, Spirituality, Philosophy
* Technology, Engineering, Computers, etc.
* Business, Finance, Management
* Sports, Adventure
* Food- Cookbooks, Cooks, Vegan Vegetarianism, etc.
* Autobiography, Biography, Memoir
* Art, Photography, Architecture
* Music, Film, TV
* Self Improvement, Self Help, How To
* Home, Garden
* Science-Nature, Weather, Biology, Geology
* Anthropology, Archaeology
* Animals-Insects, Mammals, Dinosaurs, etc.
* Family, Relationships, Parenting, Dating, Love
* Crime, Law
* Poetry, Theatre
* Politics, Government, Current Affairs
* Literary Criticism/Theory
* Cultural Studies
* Travel
* Crafts

* It is not necessary to pick your categories ahead of time, but try not to read more than two books in each category so you can broaden your horizons.
* The categories I listed are just suggestions. If you have a different category you'd like to add, let me know!
* When you write about the challenge or read/review a book, come back here and link up or leave a comment and tell me what you read and what you thought of it.
* If you're participating in a different non-fiction challenge, please feel free to still link up. It's always fun to see what other people have read in the different non-fiction categories.


Check here.for more information and to sign up.


and finally,


4.



Choosing 12 books by words will be a crossover to the other 3 challenges. 


GUIDELINES

* The title you choose can be a variation on one of the key words. For example- your title could include the word 'snowing' or 'snowflake' even though the key word is 'snow.'

*Key words can be tweaked. For example- You could read "Cinder" or "Ashes" for the key word 'Fire' and that would be just fine. If the key word is 'family' then your title could include the word 'sister' or 'mother.'If the key word is 'food' then your title could include the word 'cake.'


Monthly Key Words:

PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket




Check here for more info and to sign up.

_______________________________________________________________________

I am looking forward to these challenges - not too many and a chance to read what I already have.
Join in the fun and check out the challenges.






5 comments:

Bev Hankins said...

Welcome to the Mount TBR Challenge! Good luck on your climb. It's nice to have another Bev in the climbing crew!

Linda B said...

It's a terrific post Beverley. I will save it & return for a better look when company leaves. Thank you! Looks as if I need to find a few challenges!

ChrisJ said...

I have to say I have read every single book in our house (5 bookcases full)if you don't count all the theological books in my husband's office -- and I've read some of those.

Create With Joy said...

Dear Beverly,

Thank you for sharing your Reading Challenges with us at my 2013 Reading Challenges Link-Up! That TBR Double Dog Dare challenge, while fabulous, had me quaking in my boots - lol - good luck with that! (For the record, so did the Nount TBR Challenge but I put on my big girl pants for that one!)

Last year was the first year that I discovered and participated in a few challenges and like you, I discovered that I read way more as a result! So, best of luck to you - please feel free to link your updates throughout the year so I can cheer you on!

Create With Joy
http://www.create-with-joy.com/2013/01/2013-reading-challenges.html

My Recent Favorite Books said...

Im following you from "Create with Joy"'s reading challenge post.

Im currently signed up for 2 challenges, and hope to read about 35 books this year!

Best of luck to you with your goals!

Melissa
http://readingnks.blogspot.com/