Sunday, January 1, 2017

My OLW Reveal

2017

A brand new year, all shiny and all possibilities ahead. I, like many others, am glad to see the end of 2016. 
I created a journal page for the last Colour Me Positive weekly themes and it really does express what this new year offers:

As I thought about what word I needed for 2017, I reflected on my journey with using OLWs. For five years now, I have chosen a word (or in the case of the first one - a phrase) to guide and represent my overall aim for the year:

2012 - Carpe Diem (Seize the Day)
2013 - Believe
2014 - JOY
2015 - Bloom
2016 - Shine

Although each word did have a positive impact throughout the year, I probably expected much more from my OLW. Last year's SHINE was to help me shine brightly, to move forward with my writing. I had moments but not what I hoped.

Hope is a necessary thing - we need it always. A quote by Desmond Tutu, reminds me to look for the light:
Hope is being able to see that there is light despite all of the darkness. 

So as I read and listed possible words, I kept coming back to one word - CULTIVATE.
It struck me that I really needed to put more effort in my dreams, to really dig deep and work at developing my skills and abilities.
A definition online from Merriam-Webster confirmed that and more:


  1. 1:  to prepare or prepare and use for the raising of crops; also :  to loosen or break up the soil about (growing plants)
  2. 2a :  to foster the growth of <cultivate vegetables>
    c :  to improve by labor, care, or study :  refine <cultivate the mind>

  3. 4:  to seek the society of :  make friends with


For 2017, my OLW is CULTIVATE:


I need to dig dep, to bring forth new, stronger growth. I need to prepare myself for improved skills in writing and the arts. I also need to make more friends.

I plan to cultivate my best self this year - especially as I hit a milestone on the 7th - turning 65.

I plan to cultivate:  my creativity ~ in art and in writing
                             JOY
                              greater belief in myself
                              gratitude
                              my passions
                              community and friendships
                              healthy lifestyle
                              faith

This will be a year to grow, to DO, to write, to create.I have faith that this year will be a breakthrough for me, a time to pull all my OLWs together - to bloom, shine especially as I get down and dirty prepping and preparing, and loosing the soil so I can grow.

My OLW will enhance my winter dreamboard that I created December 21st.



 What is your One Little Word for 2017??

Linking with:


Inspire Me Monday

Creative Every Day


4 comments:

DVArtist said...

I really like your word for the year. I have enjoyed your art and now that you will be "cultivating" I am looking forward to seeing what you create for this year. Wishing you and your family the best 2017.

Sue from Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond said...

Oh I love your word Bev. Cultivate - such a positive word and one that can be related to many areas of our lives. I only started #oneword365 last year but you have had some great words. Happy New Year and may you cultivate and grow beautiful memories.

Sue from Sizzling Towards 60 & Beyond :)

CraftyHope said...

Fabulous word! Here's hoping it's a wonderful year for you. :)

Create With Joy said...

Very inspirational post and beautiful artwork Bev!

Thanks for sharing your wonderful post at Inspire Me Monday at Create With Joy!
Congratulations - you are one of our Featured Guests at this week's party - #262!